★ ISM - UK
Movement in support of 5 Students
Expelled at the German University in Cairo
UPDATE: Two students at the American University of Cairo began a hunger strike in solidarity with the activists at GUC on March 3rd. (academic.aucegypt.edu)
Once again students at the German University in Cairo (GUC), a rather elitist private institution with 5,500 students, are affected by repressive measures of the administration. Five students were suspended for protesting on campus while mourning the death of Karim Khozam, a GUC student who was killed during the uprising last year.
On February 29th hundreds of students protested against these suspensions and staged a sit-in at the admins office.
They already faced a similar situation in March 2011, when 26 students fighting for an independent student union at the GUC were expelled: ism-global.net
It is worth noticing that the board of trustees also include Peter Frankenberg (Minister of Science, Research and the Arts of the German federal state Baden Württemberg), Hans Wolf (President of Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg & Former Rector at the University of Ulm), Michael Bock (German Ambassador to Egypt), Wolfram Ressel (Rector at the University of Stuttgart), Karl Joachim Eberling (Rector at the University of Ulm), Dieter Fritsch (Former Rector at the University of Stuttgart) and Arend Oetker (one of the most influencial businessmen, multi-billionaire and member of the conservative party CDU).
On the occasion of June 6th, 2006 H.E. Dr. Annette Schavan Federal Minister for Education and Research in Germany, inaugurated the Material Testing Laboratory, Mega Complex (Phase Two) and laid the Foundation-Stone of the Industry Park in the heart of the GUC campus.
German Cooperation Partners:
- Trumpf: worldwide leading company in laser production technology in the field of sheet metal work using high-end laser production line.
- Festo Company: worldwide market leader in the field of automation mechatronics and industrial manufacturing.
- Felder Group: world leading company in manufacturing machines and tools for woodworking. Felder has received awards such as the Bavarian State Prize in 1983 and 1991.
- Deckel Maho GILDEMEISTER Group: major manufacturer world wide of machine tools "Milling and Lathe and Ultrasonic Machines".
- WALTER AG: leading Manufacturer in Machine tools including cutting tools for metals and grinding machines.
Even the Goethe Institute is listed among the partners of GUC.
There is a petition in support of the suspended students circulating on the net - consider supporting them by signing it: change.org
Please send any additional details or updates on this to be published to email@example.com